Strategic Category Manager
The Indirect Category Manager owns and manages the purchasing strategy for assigned categories that fall within the scope of the Indirect Purchasing team supporting central business functions. In this capacity, the Indirect Category Manager is responsible for all aspects of category management for these strategic, indirect, and complex purchase categories across all business units. This position engages with stakeholder teams at leadership levels to drive the purchasing activities for the benefit of the organization. Indirect General Purchase spend categories include many sub-categories with diverse requirements across multiple business units and represents a significant opportunity for cost reductions and process improvements with a centrally managed approach.
Functions & Responsibilities
This position directs all sourcing bid activities, price negotiations and contract management for the assigned categories, which include purchasing for IT, Marketing and Human Resources, among others. This will involve researching the market, supplier base, developing the sourcing strategy, benchmarking and working with the business unit or functional stakeholders, leading the negotiations and final decision making. This position is responsible for achieving cost savings goals and process improvements to meet the needs of the business. As the leader for all purchasing functions for assigned categories, the Indirect Category Manager ensures that all related general purchases are made in compliance with corporate policies, publishes reports, leads vendor management and value added/value engineered activities as applicable. This individual will establish controls and procedures to minimize costs while being flexible to meet the needs of the internal and external customers. This individual will have responsibility for continuous improvement projects to ensure process agility and sustainability. This individual must be a proactive leader to identify opportunities, make recommendations, and rapid decisions to achieve success.
● Establish and lead cross-functional teams to develop, advocate, and implement best-in-class purchasing category strategies to achieve short and long-term objectives, working closely with related internal departments (e.g. IT, Marketing, Human Resources) to ensure success.
● Develop, execute and maintain sourcing activities that deliver the category strategy objectives: Identify spend, develop sourcing strategy, and lead all sourcing, supplier negotiations, contract negotiations, and supplier selection to optimize the value proposition and drive savings associated with the various categories of indirect spend. Facilitate a
comprehensive contracting and contract management process to ensure a successful transition from the sourcing process to achieving the required business and functions needs; ensure all project documentation maintained per policies.
● Develop and maintain ongoing KPI reports and stakeholder engagement for each assigned category; collect and manage data from external (suppliers) resources as well as other industry benchmarks and internal purchasing resources. Regular supplier meetings to track service levels, compliance, and opportunities for improvements/incremental cost savings. Prepare and publish progress and periodic reports to executive leadership.
● Maintain an understanding of industry purchasing best practices, sustainability and technology trends and educate team members and business partners for indirect categories.
● Understand applicable company policy and ensure personal and team compliance including the purchasing policy and procedures.
● Curiosity and drive to challenge the status quo, foster innovations, and maintain a strong, collaboration network across the business. Strong stakeholder engagement skills and ability to align leaders from various functions around a common goal/objective.
● Excellent negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to influence all levels of employees and management, both inside the company and externally with suppliers.
● Business management skills including the ability to develop and execute strategy. Solid understanding of business disciplines and financials
● Ability to make data-driven decisions or recommendations and align decisions with strategies. Considers the impacts of decisions on other parts of the organization.
● Education - Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in purchasing, logistics, or business.
● 5-7 years of relevant experience in the high tech or SaaS sectors.
● Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
● Master’s degree
● Advanced Excel User
● Experience developing and implementing procurement policy
● Experience with Procurement systems such as Coupa, SAP or Ivalua
● Experience leading cross-functional teams
● Project management experience
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- 401K with Matching
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
When Entrata claims “Be the Joneses'' as one of our core Values, we mean what we say. We have been setting the standard for property management technology for nearly 20 years and continue to lead innovation in an industry that provides housing to tens of thousands of apartment communities around the world. People who come to work at Entrata are the Real Deal: straight-talking, forward-thinking, hard workers who come together both to collaborate and to have a good time.
But members of the ’Jones Family’ aren’t just smart and ambitious, they’re the living embodiment of another core Value: “Be Excellent to Each Other.” Entrata is dedicated to creating a workplace where a diverse and inclusive team thrives in an environment free from discrimination. We provide equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
It’s a great place to work; a place where we live by the words “Business in the Front, Party in the Back.” Will you join us?Apply Now