Director of Engineering - Data
As a Director of Engineering on Entrata’s Engineering team, you will help drive the strategy and delivery of our solutions, platform, and products with an emphasis on master data management and core components of data management best practices, including data architecture, data quality, and data privacy and security. You will own the overall data management program and the execution of a data warehousing strategy that enables Entrata and its products to maximize the value of its data.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience managing data as an asset to be leveraged in achieving key strategic initiatives and supporting software platforms at scale. The candidate should have experience defining data governance activities, developing and ensuring compliance with sound data architecture conventions for both OLTP and OLAP systems, understand data privacy and data security best practices, and data warehousing and business intelligence techniques. Additionally, the candidate should have expertise in emerging data management technologies and will have a history of developing the products around the data needs of strategic internal and external customers.
About the Company
Entrata provides property management organizations with leading infrastructure, platform capabilities, and industry solutions that leverage emerging technologies. We want to make the lives of our customers easier, ensuring they can operate more efficiently, be more competitive, and adapt to changing needs. Entrata is engaged to support customers in more than sixteen countries around the world.
- Working with an architect guild, inform a sound technical strategy through code design improvements, sound database architecture aligned with a master data management policy, and balancing feature delivery with stability, reducing technical debt, and improving code quality.
- Develop, execute, and supervise the plans, policies, programs, and practices that deliver, control, protect, and enhance the value of data and information assets throughout their life cycles.
- Work within required local, national, or international regulatory environments, and how these impact the organization and their data management activities, including how these regulations apply to consumer data privacy. Perform ongoing monitoring to identify and track new and potential impacts and requirements.
- Identify control points where enterprise policies, processes, and standards can be developed in the system or application development lifecycles.
- Be an expert in data security and ensure all data at Entrata is being managed securely.
OLTP, Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence
- Ensure data governance and consistency across OLTP and reporting platform
- Define and implement a data warehouse using industry-standard conventions and best practices
- Work with other product and application stakeholders to understand the business needs of the enterprise data warehouse platform
- Design and maintain an OLAP architecture that supports other products and applications in their analytic, business intelligence, and data science needs.
- Manage an enterprise data platform that supports data pipelines moving and transforming data from multiple sources, including transactional databases, into a data lake, enterprise data warehouse, and data marts.
- Work with vendor/partner management or procurement to develop and enforce standard contract language of data management contracts (e.g. cloud-related procurements, other outsourcing arrangements, third-party development efforts, or content acquisition / licensing deals, and possibly data-centric IT tools acquisitions and upgrades).
- Control or inform all data acquisition-related budgets.
- Work directly with software development managers, UX teams, product managers, and Scrum teams when needed for research and development of novel solutions to technical problems.
- Manage change to support teams to rapidly deliver stable, high-performing, and reliable code (requires frequent interaction with teams by teleconference).
- Manage technical debt -- and direct the roadmap or strategies to manage technical debt.
- Evaluate and propose new technologies, frameworks, and architectures as necessary.
- Sponsor or drive the implementation of product features through stages of planning, execution, and review.
- Coordinate with services teams and work directly with clients and vendors as needed.
- Provide up-to-date reports to senior leaders on a regular and as-needed basis, and manage change to prioritize requests from senior leadership.
- Build a strong team through actively participating in recruitment activities including sourcing ideal candidates, screening and interviewing, and thoughtfully contributing to hiring decisions.
- Connect with offshore teams to provide regular specific goals (and the reasons why) so that those offshore teams can drive those goals to completion.
- Interact directly with Product Owners and Business Analysts to help shape the product features with technical feasibilities.
- Is entrepreneurial, ambitious, and feels urgency with the evolution of his or her domain.
Measures of Success
- An ideal team player—humble, hungry, smart—who maintains excellent communications and relationships with all.
- Holds their direct reports accountable, and is involved in the details to help them hold their teams accountable. Evaluates conformity with company coding and architecture standards, and team's productivity, to ensure the maturity and success of products.
- Reports team progress metrics for up-to-date reports to senior leadership.
- Understands Entrata’s business objectives and aligns their teams’ results to these.
- Monitors and directs improvement to the efficiency and stability of database schema and solution architecture.
- Trains offshore and US teams to increase team technical knowledge and skills.
- Drives great code and DB architecture through training and mentoring.
- Is current on new technologies, and proposes new technologies when appropriate.
- Conducts and participates in peer reviews.
- Is a team builder and output multiplier.
Tracks across their teams and domain:
- Timeliness of releases within each sprint
- Technical debt
- Level of energy, urgency, and innovation of the team
- Quality of communications with other departments
- Level of each team member’s output per unit of pay
- Soundness of architecture
- Conformity with company technical standards
- 5 years of experience in a senior-level data management role
- Management experience
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, Engineering, or related field
- Experience project managing technical projects
- Experience in product management
- Experience working on distributed services
- Scrum Agile experience
- Hands-on engineering experience
- Experience with enterprise customers including security and compliance assessments
- Experience in innovation and technical contributions to company/industry and/or academia and research
- Broad technical background including Compute, Networking, and Storage
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- 401K with Matching
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times demanding environment. Must be able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time. Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Ability to operate standard and specified technical office equipment. Regular and reliable onsite attendance during standard operating hours.
When Entrata claims “Be the Joneses'' as one of our core Values, we mean what we say. We have been setting the standard for property management technology for nearly 20 years and continue to lead innovation in an industry that provides housing to tens of thousands of apartment communities around the world. People who come to work at Entrata are the Real Deal: straight-talking, forward-thinking, hard workers who come together both to collaborate and to have a good time.
But members of the ’Jones Family’ aren’t just smart and ambitious, they’re the living embodiment of another core Value: “Be Excellent to Each Other.” Entrata is dedicated to creating a workplace where a diverse and inclusive team thrives in an environment free from discrimination. We provide equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
It’s a great place to work; a place where we live by the words “Business in the Front, Party in the Back.” Will you join us?Apply Now